Skip to main content

Aloha!...the first 3 days

Okay, I will TRY not to make this too long, but we had so much fun on our vacation to Hawaii. To quickly fill you in, Kent, Bubby and I spent 10 days on Hawaii (the Big Island, Hawaii) visiting my in-laws (who are currently serving a temple mission for the LDS Church).

We arrived late Sat. night, so our first day was Sunday. It was actually nice, we slept in, drove around a bit and got ready for church. Here we are after church, you can kinda see my lei, and Bubby is wearing/eating the crochet lei we got in Relief Society.
Here is the little gecko who came out to say "Hi". There were about 5 of them on the banana tree out front. They were everywhere. Such cute and colorful little guys.
Our first adventure day we split into boys and girls. The boys (my father-in-law, brother-in-law and Kent) went deep sea fishing. The caught a 7 foot shark (YIKES!!!) and a yellow fin tuna, but I don't have pictures. We (mother-in-law, sister-in-law, Bubby, and I) spent a relaxing day at the beach. This was our favorite beach. Kent and I returned to this beach almost everyday. I promise the photo has not been edited. The water is really that blue and beautiful.

I think this is a beautiful picture of Bubby with his grams, and aunt. The one's with me were not that good (I promise, not even being modest here)
Bubby like splashing in the waves with Grams. (DO you see how crystal clear the water is!)
Bubby did NOT like the sand at first. I love this picture. We wrote the kids names in the sand, and put him at the top, but he quickly lost it.
My FAVORITE day was Tuesday. We met Uncle Gordon (such an amazing man) who took us on a fantastic boat ride. This is his glass bottom boat. He built it, and it is made to look like the double canoes the ancient Hawaiians used.
My FIL and Uncle Gordon. He had a deep, rich voice, and he told us the Hawaiian version (probably more correct version) of what happened to Captain Cook.
Surprisingly, Bubby loved the boat ride. When they opened the doors to the glass, he looked down and cooed at all the fish while he waved his arms like he was swimming.
Kent and his sister snorkeling. (if you look closely you can see Kent's glasses folded up in his goggles, poor guy. He loved snorkeling, but is blind without the glasses and can't wear contacts. I am sure Alane doesn't like this picture, but you saw how beautiful she is in the other pictues)
Again, this is the real deal. The water was beautiful.
Here is the family on the boat ride back. I was SO proud of myself for snorkeling. I have a HUGE water fobia, and this was a big deal to me. It took me a few min. to talk myself into getting in, and I had to consciously remember to breath slowly so I didn't hyperventilate, but it was amazing. I actually went a second time.

Kent and I at an ancient temple structure. Amazing how well built it is. The stones seem to fit perfectly.
Kent and I at the statues in the City of Refuge. If you broke a law, in ancient Hawaiian times, you were usually executed on the spot. However, if you could make it here to the City of Refuge, your life was spared. It was a neat place.
A happy turtle popped out to say "hi". I loved to see the sea turtles, they were so much fun.

Whew! Did I loose you? Hope you enjoyed the first 3 days of Hawaii.

Comments

TerĂ©sa said…
Wow! It looks like you had so much fun!
Rachel said…
So fun!! I have a HUGE fobia of water, too! Phew, glad I'm not the only one! Plus, I LOVE the dress you are waring!! Where ever did you FIND it??? If you made it, lie to me and tell me you don't remember where you picked it up :)
Christine said…
Everything is so stunning! I'm so proud you got in the water - I have to admit I have a bit of water phobia. Ocean phobia more like it. I can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip!

Popular posts from this blog

Keep singing until the end of the song

Since my last post we lost 2 more precious babies.  On September 30, 2016 we lost our beautiful baby girl Felicity at 5 months.  Almost a year later, we found out we were expecting agin.  Sadly on Dec.1, 2017 we lost our little boy, Elijah.  I need to write their stories, but the feelings and emotions are still very raw and difficult.  While I hope to share them someday, today is not that day. Today is December 21, just a few more days until Christmas.  I LOVE Christmas.  The lights, smells, delicious food, family and friends, and especially the music.  I love to sing Christmas songs and look forward to it every year.  But this year it was hard to sing the songs I love so much.  This year singing about the miraculous birth brought sadness and even anger.  I have struggled to feel the Christmas Spirit. I imagine it is difficult to experience any loss during the Christmas season.  A holiday that focuses so much on family, fri...

Comparison: The Thief of Compassion

I have often heard the saying, "Comparison is the thief of joy", but as I have been navigating this road of loss and grief, I have noticed how often comparison denies us the opportunity to have true compassion for someone else.  Comparison is often well meaning and kind hearted, but when we or someone else compares grief, loss, or other trials and tribulations, it shifts the focus and burden of compassion off of us and minimizes the other person. A few moths ago I had a startling interaction that caused me to pause and reflect on this.  A great, well meaning friend said something along these lines, "You thought you had it rough loosing your babies, just imagine being in her shoes.....".  I smiled and nodded my head, but inside I was crushed.  Without going into specifics, the other woman unquestionably has some great difficulties ahead of her, but she didn't have to burry any of her children. How could the 2 circumstances possibly be compared? After the frie...

Starting a New Chapter, Part 1

It was late February, and Kent and I were sitting anxiously in the Doctor's office.  We were waiting to hear if our fears were correct, waiting to know if our baby had died.  Our fears were confirmed and our lives changed forever.  That baby we had prayed about and prayed for, the baby we were excitedly expecting was gone. We were at the beginning of our second trimester.  I was just starting to relax, the worry of miscarriage was all but gone.  Things had been going well.  I had normal pregnancy issues like nausea, and I was relieved that my Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) had gone into remission (that can happen when you are pregnant).  Ultra-Sounds had shown us a beautiful healthy baby. The decision to have another baby was not an easy one to make.  The meds I take for RA are dangerous to take during pregnancy and take quite a bit of time to leave your system.  I also knew that while I might go into remission during pregnancy, I...