Skip to main content

D's Big Baptism Day


It's hard to believe that my baby boy is already 8.  He is such a good kid.  Don't get me wrong, he drives me crazy at times, but I still think he's fantastic.  He is so happy we always wonder if his cheeks hurt from smiling all the time.  The kid makes friends everywhere we go and loves to have fun.  He's also a quick learner.  New skills seem to come easily to him (he would do awesome in school if he could just keep his mouth closed a little more).

So, my smily big guy turned 8, and in our house that means it is baptism time!  D was so excited to be baptized and confirmed a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  He has been looking forward to it for quite awhile.  He and Kent looked so sweet walking over to the church in their white clothes.

 D is actually a pretty lucky kid.  Most people don't get baptized at a Tabernacle, but since that is where we attend church that is where he was baptized.  It is a beautiful old pioneer building with amazing stained glass windows, wood carved details and beautiful architecture.  I hope he always remembers this special building he was blessed and then baptized in and the many Saints who sacrificed to build such a beautiful house of worship.
 D was baptized and confirmed by his dad Kent.  I think Kent was almost as excited as D.
 Of course mom was pretty excited too.
 I'm so glad he's not too old to give his mom a kiss.
 Here he is ready for the water.
 I love this picture.  Lizzy took it while we were walking up the steps into the building.  I know he won't want me to hold his hand forever and lead him, so I'll cherish these times.
 Not to be outdone, K got in on a few pictures.  She thought she was pretty slick in her fancy dress, feather hair clip and fancy gloves.

D had quite the party after his baptism.  D asked if we could have Nachos to eat and I quickly said YES!  (seriously, such an easy thing to feed LOTS of people)  So, we filled the backyard with tables and chairs and dished up chips, cheese sauce, refried beans, and taco meat, onions, tomatoes, cilantro, salsa, sour cream, and olives (there might have been more but ?).  

Not only did we have LOTS of family and several friends who came to be with D on his special day, it was also our towns annual city celebration "Wheat and Beat Days".  I think this was the kids favorite part, the fireman's water fight, even better it was held across the street from our house.  It is just what it looks like.  The local volunteer fire departments get together and spray the kids down with fire hoses and water cannons. EVERYONE gets soaked (even innocent bystanders).  In the photo above, D and a few cousins and friends and itching to get seriously soaked.  The kids had a blast.  


Well, most of the kids.

After the water fun, everyone came back over to the house for snow cones and cotton candy.  We had several flavors of both cotton candy and snow cones.  I think everyone got a good dose of sugar that day.   (Okay, so I know it is sounding a little overboard now, but we have family members who own the machines so it was actually easier than making cookies or some other treat).

Overall it was a fantastic day.  We are so proud of D and his decision.  At the bishop's interview he did a great job.  He knew all the answers and once again I realized that he was learning more than I knew (in between pulling his pant legs up to his thigh and kicking the desk... you can't get all the crazies out of the boy).

Comments

Seleta said…
Congrats D, What a wonderful day! Sounds like a fun time! Mariam, I Love your hair cut, you look so great! So glad that the day went well!
Rachel said…
Awww, such cute pics for such a special day! Congrats for you all :) xox
Christine said…
You all look amazing! What a gorgeous day. Congrats to all of you :)

Popular posts from this blog

Keep singing until the end of the song

Since my last post we lost 2 more precious babies.  On September 30, 2016 we lost our beautiful baby girl Felicity at 5 months.  Almost a year later, we found out we were expecting agin.  Sadly on Dec.1, 2017 we lost our little boy, Elijah.  I need to write their stories, but the feelings and emotions are still very raw and difficult.  While I hope to share them someday, today is not that day. Today is December 21, just a few more days until Christmas.  I LOVE Christmas.  The lights, smells, delicious food, family and friends, and especially the music.  I love to sing Christmas songs and look forward to it every year.  But this year it was hard to sing the songs I love so much.  This year singing about the miraculous birth brought sadness and even anger.  I have struggled to feel the Christmas Spirit. I imagine it is difficult to experience any loss during the Christmas season.  A holiday that focuses so much on family, fri...

Comparison: The Thief of Compassion

I have often heard the saying, "Comparison is the thief of joy", but as I have been navigating this road of loss and grief, I have noticed how often comparison denies us the opportunity to have true compassion for someone else.  Comparison is often well meaning and kind hearted, but when we or someone else compares grief, loss, or other trials and tribulations, it shifts the focus and burden of compassion off of us and minimizes the other person. A few moths ago I had a startling interaction that caused me to pause and reflect on this.  A great, well meaning friend said something along these lines, "You thought you had it rough loosing your babies, just imagine being in her shoes.....".  I smiled and nodded my head, but inside I was crushed.  Without going into specifics, the other woman unquestionably has some great difficulties ahead of her, but she didn't have to burry any of her children. How could the 2 circumstances possibly be compared? After the frie...

Starting a New Chapter, Part 1

It was late February, and Kent and I were sitting anxiously in the Doctor's office.  We were waiting to hear if our fears were correct, waiting to know if our baby had died.  Our fears were confirmed and our lives changed forever.  That baby we had prayed about and prayed for, the baby we were excitedly expecting was gone. We were at the beginning of our second trimester.  I was just starting to relax, the worry of miscarriage was all but gone.  Things had been going well.  I had normal pregnancy issues like nausea, and I was relieved that my Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) had gone into remission (that can happen when you are pregnant).  Ultra-Sounds had shown us a beautiful healthy baby. The decision to have another baby was not an easy one to make.  The meds I take for RA are dangerous to take during pregnancy and take quite a bit of time to leave your system.  I also knew that while I might go into remission during pregnancy, I...