Skip to main content

Living in a digital world

I often forget how much I love modern technology.  It seems like you never appreciate what you have until it is not there.  Case in point, my digital camera.  It is not broken, but I left the recharger cord at my moms.  Well, my batteries went dead, and we had a fun little adventure this last weekend.  I was sooo sad not to have my camera, so I did the unthinkable.  I used a FILM camera.  I haven't used it in years though, and the batteries were dead.  As it turns out the batteries were about $15.  
We spent the weekend in SLC with my in-laws.  The kids had so much fun ridding the elevator, swimming in the hotel pool and exploring every nook and cranny in the hotel room.  The next morning we went to the Discovery Center and the Gateway.  The kids had a blast, and they were so cute.  
I wanted to capture all the fun memories, so I pulled out my old camera.  It was so hard.  I couldn't see what I was taking a picture of, you only get one shot, and the camera was big and bulky.  My brother in law saw me snapping pictures and looking at me quizzically.  "Is that a FILM camera?" he asked.  Sheepishly I said it was.  He just laughed.
So as it turns out I lugged around that old camera, spent more money on batteries, and I still have to develop the film to see if I even have any good pictures.  How did we live before?

Comments

Rachel said…
We had a day like that when we went to Disney World! I found 4 rolls of film when I was cleaning out the closet and I figured I'd get them used up, which we did all in the first day! After i went through all that film, I threw away the camera! People were looking at me. :) Anyway, after all that, only about half of the pictures are keepers. We are so spoiled!
Orange said…
I won't have you slammin' the film. I still rely on the extremely old-school manual SLR I have to get much better pictures than you can sometimes get with digital.

But ya, for most things it would be annoying and expensive.

Just had to argue- glad you had an adventure. We were in West Valley and thought of you guys.
Terésa said…
Well, I can totaly relate! When my digital camera broke I didn't know how to function... "Shouldn't a camera be in my hand?" ;)
Seleta said…
I totally agree- we rely on so much now a days! if i lost my cell phone i think i would die!
Ha Ha, I still have my old camera too. Not only that, I am constantly finding roles of film in odd places and developing them only to get pictures that I would have never needed. Who knew that I took such bad photos.

Popular posts from this blog

Keep singing until the end of the song

Since my last post we lost 2 more precious babies.  On September 30, 2016 we lost our beautiful baby girl Felicity at 5 months.  Almost a year later, we found out we were expecting agin.  Sadly on Dec.1, 2017 we lost our little boy, Elijah.  I need to write their stories, but the feelings and emotions are still very raw and difficult.  While I hope to share them someday, today is not that day. Today is December 21, just a few more days until Christmas.  I LOVE Christmas.  The lights, smells, delicious food, family and friends, and especially the music.  I love to sing Christmas songs and look forward to it every year.  But this year it was hard to sing the songs I love so much.  This year singing about the miraculous birth brought sadness and even anger.  I have struggled to feel the Christmas Spirit. I imagine it is difficult to experience any loss during the Christmas season.  A holiday that focuses so much on family, fri...

Comparison: The Thief of Compassion

I have often heard the saying, "Comparison is the thief of joy", but as I have been navigating this road of loss and grief, I have noticed how often comparison denies us the opportunity to have true compassion for someone else.  Comparison is often well meaning and kind hearted, but when we or someone else compares grief, loss, or other trials and tribulations, it shifts the focus and burden of compassion off of us and minimizes the other person. A few moths ago I had a startling interaction that caused me to pause and reflect on this.  A great, well meaning friend said something along these lines, "You thought you had it rough loosing your babies, just imagine being in her shoes.....".  I smiled and nodded my head, but inside I was crushed.  Without going into specifics, the other woman unquestionably has some great difficulties ahead of her, but she didn't have to burry any of her children. How could the 2 circumstances possibly be compared? After the frie...

Starting a New Chapter, Part 1

It was late February, and Kent and I were sitting anxiously in the Doctor's office.  We were waiting to hear if our fears were correct, waiting to know if our baby had died.  Our fears were confirmed and our lives changed forever.  That baby we had prayed about and prayed for, the baby we were excitedly expecting was gone. We were at the beginning of our second trimester.  I was just starting to relax, the worry of miscarriage was all but gone.  Things had been going well.  I had normal pregnancy issues like nausea, and I was relieved that my Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) had gone into remission (that can happen when you are pregnant).  Ultra-Sounds had shown us a beautiful healthy baby. The decision to have another baby was not an easy one to make.  The meds I take for RA are dangerous to take during pregnancy and take quite a bit of time to leave your system.  I also knew that while I might go into remission during pregnancy, I...