Recently I have found myself awake at night having contractions for several hours (annoying contractions because the Dr. says nothing is really happening, just pain, discomfort and lack of sleep.) With all that time I have been busy crocheting lots of things (because it is quiet and not too messy). Baby hats, booties, sweaters...., and it got me thinking. Can I really use these things, are my kids going to look too homemade?
You might think I am being crazy, but we have all seen that unfortunate child. You know the one with the crochet hat, jacket, shirt, skirt, leggings and socks (and why is it that the person making the over the top outfit is usually color blind too?). They look so uncomfortable, and frankly, frumpy. You know that when their mom/grandma made it for them they thought it was adorable and so cute. Am I falling into that trap too?
Looking around at boutiques and on-line stores, I see that the "homemade" look is kinda popular, but when is it too much. A homemade hair bow is one thing, but is a homemade ensemble too much. I just finished making K a little crochet bolero, and I made baby H a little red and brown sweater, hat and bootie set (because if the Dr. induces me on Feb 12, he could come home on Valentine's Day, and he needs something red, right? Oh, and if I plan on him coming home on Valentine's Day maybe he will come sooner and I won't really need it...crazy I know) but I worry that it is too much?
I like to make my kids things, quilts, dresses (especially dress-up clothes), hats....but when do you go too far? I usually make things for two reasons: 1. I enjoy the creative process and 2. I feel like it is one way I can give my kids fun things without spending lots of money (again, especially dress-up clothes). And making things for girls is one thing, what about boys, and when do they get too old to wear homemade?
So for now maybe I should retire my hooks (because I have run out of yarn(sigh)), and start obsessing over another hobby until the baby gets here (sigh again).
Comments
I love the stuff you make! Once D is in Jr. High I think you should stop making him wear the crocheted tights, though.
You just need to remember to share more of them on your blog! I want to see!