In my book "Clutter's Last Stand" I just read about what to do with "personal treasures". He hit on one of the most difficult topics, gifts. Oddly enough, it was on my mind before I started my clutter diet. I don't want to give people I love more junk for their homes as my Christmas present.
It bothers me that we run frantically through the stores to find a gift, any gift, for someone when they don't really want/need it. I do (usually) put lots of thought into the gifts I give. I really try to think about the likes, needs and homes of the recipients of my gifts. I made my nieces princess dress-ups for Christmas last year, and I think little L lived in hers for 3 months. I love to hear things like that, but lets be honest not all my gifts to people have been a home run.
So, if I have gifted you an item that you don't really want. Something that just creates clutter and stress for you, I give you my permission to get rid of it without my feelings getting hurt. I give gifts to show my love and appreciation. If the gift is now causing grief, it is the opposite of what I want. Get rid of the junk, hold onto the memory of my love.
On that note, Christmas is around the corner, and I am a little nervous. I don't want to bring more un-used, un-loved junk into the house, but let's face it, kids love lots of junk at Christmas. Do any of you have any ideas on how to solve the gift gluttony? (for my personal family and also for extended family like grandparents)
I am also smack dab in the middle of my cleanse. Honestly, I am feeling lots of anxiety. Not really about throwing stuff out (at least 7+ big garbage bags full now!), I am just not sure there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Gotta keep going.......
Comments
We are not knick knack fans and we try really hard to avoid clutter. So, for Christmas, we use our philosophy and usually try to give consumables. Foods, chocolates, drinks, lotions, soaps, craft projects for the recipient. It's not always the case, but we do our best to think, "Is this something I want in my home for years or for a couple of months?" That helps guide our decisions.
Good luck and there is a light, believe me, it's a big light and a huge weight off of your shoulders. You go girl!!
Way to go on the cleaning out. DH and I have been discussing what we can do to make room for baby in our house and I think our junk (furniture) is holding us back.