Skip to main content

Our time at the cabin

We (K, my sisters, parents and I) took a little trip to the cabin (in the White Mts. of AZ) for Grandma's funeral.  She was buried next to Grandpa in a cemetery up there.  The cabin was such a happy place for me as a child, and as an adult.  It is full of so many happy memories.  

While we were there some deer came through.  My Brother in law was super excited. He's the hunter in the family.  He took these pictures from the cabin porch.  
Kody and Amanda took K and L to the lake to feed the ducks.  They had a great time.  And as usual, my fashionista daughter was striking a pose in her ensemble.  
K found this teddy bear and thought she needed a picture with it.  IDK.  At least she is cute.  
Here is a picture of all of us laughing at dad while he tries to hula hoop on Wii fit.  It was definitely something to see.  
The infamous laundry sink pictures.  It was the first thing K and L wanted to do when they got to the cabin, so we threw them in together.  
I will miss the cabin so much.  It is such a peaceful happy place for me.  My family spent most of our summers there, and while dad was in school, we spent every holiday there.  Grandma and Grandpa always met us at the door with big hugs and kisses, no matter how late we got in.  Grandma would then have us pick our color for the week.  That was so you had the same color towel, washcloth, cup, etc.  Then grandpa would have us stock the fridge with all the soda we could drink.  We also enjoyed glass after glass of strawberry and chocolate milk.  

Grandma was a short-order cook every morning.  We would get anything we wanted for breakfast.  Then, we would play outside, swing on the hammock, make swords out in the wood shop, play dress up in grandma's old scarfs, or build a playhouse out of scrap wood.  I was so happy there.  

It was sad to leave the cabin this time, I will miss it.  But, it is just not the same with Grandma and Grandpa gone.  Now it is just a house full of memories, not the warm loving home of Grandma and Grandpa.  

Comments

HRHNeenerita said…
iT IS SAD THAT YOU FEEL THAT WAY AND REAL. I THINK THAT IS THE WAY ALL OF THE KIDS FEEL ABOUT MY HOUSE. iT HAS TAKEN ME SEVERAL MONTHS TO GET PASS THIS AND I LIVE HERE. THERE ARE STILL TIMES I WONDER HOW MOM OR DAD WOULD REACT TO SOMETHING AND I EITHER SMILE OR GET WEEPY LIKE I AM NOW. YOU ARE LOVED
Unknown said…
I wish I could have been there for the hoola hoop. I am laughing thinking about it. Mike tells me so many stories about Arizona. I know that it has been on his mind lately because yesterday he was talking about all the places we could live in Arizona. I'm not so convinced yet but maybe.
Miss M said…
The Wii Fit is SOOOO great!! We had tons of fun with it over Christmas. I LOVE that your dad is doing it.

The cabin sounds like such a great place.
Rachel said…
Even though you know your Grandparents are happy, it's so sad to leave those places. At least you can still have the memories. That seemed like a great get-away for you. Best wishes.

Popular posts from this blog

Keep singing until the end of the song

Since my last post we lost 2 more precious babies.  On September 30, 2016 we lost our beautiful baby girl Felicity at 5 months.  Almost a year later, we found out we were expecting agin.  Sadly on Dec.1, 2017 we lost our little boy, Elijah.  I need to write their stories, but the feelings and emotions are still very raw and difficult.  While I hope to share them someday, today is not that day. Today is December 21, just a few more days until Christmas.  I LOVE Christmas.  The lights, smells, delicious food, family and friends, and especially the music.  I love to sing Christmas songs and look forward to it every year.  But this year it was hard to sing the songs I love so much.  This year singing about the miraculous birth brought sadness and even anger.  I have struggled to feel the Christmas Spirit. I imagine it is difficult to experience any loss during the Christmas season.  A holiday that focuses so much on family, fri...

Comparison: The Thief of Compassion

I have often heard the saying, "Comparison is the thief of joy", but as I have been navigating this road of loss and grief, I have noticed how often comparison denies us the opportunity to have true compassion for someone else.  Comparison is often well meaning and kind hearted, but when we or someone else compares grief, loss, or other trials and tribulations, it shifts the focus and burden of compassion off of us and minimizes the other person. A few moths ago I had a startling interaction that caused me to pause and reflect on this.  A great, well meaning friend said something along these lines, "You thought you had it rough loosing your babies, just imagine being in her shoes.....".  I smiled and nodded my head, but inside I was crushed.  Without going into specifics, the other woman unquestionably has some great difficulties ahead of her, but she didn't have to burry any of her children. How could the 2 circumstances possibly be compared? After the frie...

Starting a New Chapter, Part 1

It was late February, and Kent and I were sitting anxiously in the Doctor's office.  We were waiting to hear if our fears were correct, waiting to know if our baby had died.  Our fears were confirmed and our lives changed forever.  That baby we had prayed about and prayed for, the baby we were excitedly expecting was gone. We were at the beginning of our second trimester.  I was just starting to relax, the worry of miscarriage was all but gone.  Things had been going well.  I had normal pregnancy issues like nausea, and I was relieved that my Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) had gone into remission (that can happen when you are pregnant).  Ultra-Sounds had shown us a beautiful healthy baby. The decision to have another baby was not an easy one to make.  The meds I take for RA are dangerous to take during pregnancy and take quite a bit of time to leave your system.  I also knew that while I might go into remission during pregnancy, I...