Like so many others, September 11 changed our lives forever. One of Kent's dear friends, Brady, was killed in the Pentagon that horrible day. But rather than focusing on the sadness and loss, I want to share how that experience has enriched my life.
I realized the importance of treasuring your friends. Old friends are precious, but you never know how precious until they are gone. I don't want to live my life with regret for not reaching out.
It is important to have that uncomfortable talk with your loved ones and say, what if... Brady and his wife had that exact conversation before his death. That conversation gave her so much peace of mind.
I learned what it means to mourn with those who mourn. Kent and I came across Brady's widow on the way to the funeral. She said she couldn't do it, she couldn't say good-bye. Kent gave her some words of love, and then he helped carry her back to the church. He promised she wouldn't go through this alone. As I held her shaky hand and walked by her side, I knew what true empathy felt like. I was not just sad for her, my heart actually ached for her. I had not lost my husband, brother, or best friend, but I could feel the pain of those who did, and I loved them even more.
The most important thing I learned is that LOVE is the stronger than hate. It is an indescribable feeling when you learn that someone you care for has been killed in a senseless act of hatred and violence. You wonder why, and how someone could hate that much, but the hatred melted quickly at Brady's funeral. We all felt the love Brady had for everyone, the love of others for Brady, and most of all the love of our Savior. There was no hatred in the room, only massive amounts of love.
Kent and I desperately wanted to start a family when this happened. I wasn't sure I wanted to bring a beautiful innocent child into such a horrible world. I was wrong. There is more love than hate, more hope than hopelessness, and more faith than we realize.
Comments